Thesis: The word "retard" or "retarded" is dehumanizing, it has the same effect as any racial slur, and it should not be used in any context because it is degrading to people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their friends and families.
1. "Mental retardation" is a medical term used too identify people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
2. Older generations should not be expected to change the terminology they use because when they were young they were taught that "retard" and "retarded" were not wrong words to use.
1. Show emotion in my voice when something exciting or serious happens in my speech rather than keep a constant tone throughout the whole speech.
2. Do not raise my voice at the end of a sentence or statement.
3. Speech a little louder so that everyone can hear every word I say in order to gain more attention from the audience rather than bore them.