Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Vocal Analysis


The two conversations were very different contextually which had a significant impact on the manner in which they were delivered. One conversation was formal and was delivered to a larger group of people, and the other was an informal conversation between two people. In the informal conversation, the average pitch was 64.39 units, and the loudness was -25.06 units. The formal recording had a very similar pitch at 66.43 units, and was slightly louder at -23.45 units. In the informal conversation, the average pitch of the other person was 68.23 and the loudness was 25.43 units. Throughout the speech, my voice sounded shakier and less confident than it did throughout the informal conversation because I was nervous and lacking confidence. I also did not put as much inflection and emotion into my voice throughout the speech because I was focusing on delivering a message to a group of people rather than relating to an individual person on a more intimate level.

I did mimic the tone and loudness of the other person during the informal conversation. Because I was comfortable in the conversation and with the person I was conversing with, we had a generally stable back and forth interaction, and I feel like I didn’t take on a dominant or submissive tone. If I had to describe it as either dominant or submissive, I would say that it was more submissive because I mimicked the tone of the other person instead of establishing it. I feel like when I speak in front of an audience, there should be an overall balanced pitch, without excessive inflection at the beginning or the end of my sentences unless there is a certain point I am stressing where vocal inflection could be appreciated. In order to give an effective speech, I, as a speaker, need to focus on projecting confidence and assertiveness while I speak. In relation to an audience, taking on a more dominant role is important, as the speaker needs to establish the tone of the speech being delivered.

No comments:

Post a Comment